SECTOR 26 Suggestions and Feedback

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SECTOR 26 Suggestions and Feedback

Post by Silvabakrev on 28th March 2015, 5:49 pm

Please feel free to post any SECTOR 26 Suggestions and Feedback in this thread!

Like a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heavenLike a Star @ heaven

"Aliens could drop a zombie apocalypse virus on mankind any day now! ...You better have a bug-out-bag ready!!!"
"Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet!"
Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 3573
Gaming Tag : =mfp= Rev

http://www.mfpclan.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SECTOR 26 Suggestions and Feedback

Post by Spriggamortis on 1st April 2015, 12:35 am

Good to see another =mfp= RUST server again. Always nice to dabble in this gr8 game. Development is still hectic ... so we are along for the wild ride.

My personal opinion on how the server should be setup?

Keep it as Vanilla as possible. Use the new Oxide 2 plugins to enhance the Vanilla gameplay, but not twist it into something the Devs did not intend!

Helmet

Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 2453
Gaming Tag : Spriggamortis

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 14th April 2015, 12:54 am

Gr8 job on the new map Revinski!  Looking forward to jumping on the newly updated Sector 26, exploring 'Wake Island' for a new home patch and giving the new RUST update a flogging.  So far .. after testing on another server,  new update and improved procedural map generation is gr8.

Helmet

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 14th April 2015, 3:23 pm

'Wake Island' working fine for me. Rev: noticed your query on whether the server was running on latest update. New Update working well, or we wouldn't be able to get on mate. The new procedural mapping is also working fine. Good clue is the upside down 'U' shaped rock formations on the beach/shores. Never existed prior to the latest big update.

Be aware. Caves still glitchy. Can't place doors inside caves and sleeping bag placement glitchy inside caves as well. Dev Branch already has some fixes for this ... so won't come to stable branch till next week I imagine.

Game on!!

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 14th April 2015, 3:54 pm

Sweet looking good then eh.

"Aliens could drop a zombie apocalypse virus on mankind any day now! ...You better have a bug-out-bag ready!!!"
Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 15th April 2015, 7:10 am

Silvabakrev wrote:Sweet looking good then eh.

Roger.  Looks good.  I need to give it a full explore though. Smile

So .. more feedback if I may Sir Rev. , from my perspective. Helmet  Grab a coffee!  Huh

Server Title:  I think keep them relatively simple.  Having mfpclan.com @ the end is a no brainer of course.  Directs players to good server management &  info, like we always do.  If your using a few specific plugins, like Zones for eg, let them find out in game.  Maybe the admin builds a safe town.  Put signs up in the town reflecting said plugin.  They go to kill someone in the safe zone .. then find out they can't.  Nice surprise. Not really needed in title imo.  Some like Anticheat though will more likely be a positive drawcard if in the title.
Rev, I like how you recently put your map interpretation name in the server title.  At this time Wake Island.  Gr8 idea imo, as it will represent familiarity in a lot of gamers (BF moreso than others iti)  Keep this theme going for future map iterations imo.  Its something I've not seen b4 in Rust server titles.

Server Slot Size: I think with RUSTs current development, server slots sizes of 50 or 100 or 150 are irrelevant.  Current RUST players appear to be looking for human interaction.  Especially when current AI are only animals.  They see 8 or 10 people on a 50 slot server ... then players will start to enter.  They see 1 or 2 on a 150 slot server ... then they only see the 1/2 players.  The 150 mean squat imo.  I've seen quite a few busy 50 slots servers.  IMO Rev, as its early days for Sector 26, we have to build population.  The clan, and usually yourself as main admin, know what that entails after all our clan server experiences.
You have started running a smaller world size, to increase human interaction under smaller population.  Gr8 idea.  You could mirror that by maybe dropping the slots to 50 or 60.  Would save you money and make more sense than having 150 on a small map.  As you know .. you can always up the size at a click of the button.

Vanilla Server:  I have spoken about this in the Oxide plugin thread I think.  Simply imo .. keep the server as close to Vanilla as possible.  Let Gary and his Devs take us on their ride.  Sure, use plugins to enhance their features/ideas, like xtra Admin abilities to assist in identifying hackers or helping glitched players, or tweak Day/Night length cycles etc  But, I don't like the idea of plugins to change major things.  EG resource gathering times, xtra player powers etc.  I even don't like starter kits.

Food for thought.  My usual 2 cents.  Keep up the good work mate. Salute

Spriggy

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 15th April 2015, 4:33 pm

Yeah dont plan to use many player plugins at all, no extra gather increases, starter kits etc... plan to keep the player side of it fairly basic.

As discussed do intend to experiment the zone/npc side of things a little with one safe zone/trader admin town setup, like I have already dabbled in, with some cheeky npc's about?

Also to make a small hostile npc zone, location with some radiation etc...
something like a small armoured Fort Knox, with some hard core aggressive npcs guarding it, with s small amount of hot loot in it as a reward etc... something that might take an organised and geared up squad to tackle???

Agree a familiar map title in the server naming is worth perusing. Noticed one map with a good sized island close to the shape of Australia, Australia Map in the game title would draw a crowd I'm sure Very Happy might have to refind that one and save it as a possible future server map??

Regarding server size, the top two Aussie pop servers are 200 and 250 player capped ones... might leave the 150cap a while yet and review it as we go.

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 20th April 2015, 2:02 am

Rev:
I've noticed Sector 26 has still not received the weekly update (Released Thursdays/Fridays)  I can't find alot of info on this .. and may post on Garys Reddit for definative answer.  

Sector 26 is running on the Stable Branch.   Gary and the Devs do daily updates (sometimes mulitple) via the Development branch for testing.   They then roll all these daily updates into the Thursday weekly updates, released onto the None (No betas) branch.  This branch is the default branch Rust is set on when you install it.

I'm then guessing they make sure the Thrusday weekly release is pretty much bug free and stable ... they then release it to the Stable Branch.  Makes sense.

My question though ...  Which is the best server side Beta Branch to run on, for optimum player population chances? (if it can be changed)  None or Stable?  I noticed the busiest Aussie servers appear to be running on the None branch.  This means regular weekly updates.
Stable branch makes more sense for a more bug free playing experience, however the default Rust setting is None branch.
It therefore makes sense alot more players are on the None branch, therefore giving the default None branch servers better population opportunities.

Maybe something to investigate and take into consideration.

Just thinking aloud! Smile

Last edited by Spriggamortis on 20th April 2015, 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sashbags on 20th April 2015, 2:21 am

should drop the server pop to 50 or make a bigger map. 150 on this map would be nuts
Sashbags
Corporal
Corporal

Number of posts : 790
Gaming Tag : [mfp] Sashbags

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 20th April 2015, 4:32 am

maps are easy to change, when and if the pop ever increases too much, is a good size for the handful of players we have on it for now.

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 20th April 2015, 7:46 am

Well.  We have the answer to the server branch query I discussed above.  I'll try to outline the issue .. although its a bit of a tongue twister. Huh

Sector 26 is set for the default Rust branch, NONE.  Not STABLE, as we thought.  It appears Garys weekly updates are rolling through the Sector 26 server provider, 'Streamline', a few days later.  Unknown reason at this time.  Will investigate further.

Hence, as we were all on STABLE branch .. the branch that gets updated LAST! ... and Sector 26 didn't have the new update yet ... we could still get on.   Sector 26 updated today (NONE branch) .. and we on STABLE branch now cannot get on.  Changed to NONE branch client side .... wala! ... in like flynn.

So currently, client side (our own PCs) will get Garys weekly updates at the usual Thursday/Friday slot.  But the Sector 26 server is taking another few days to update.  That means for a few days .. you'll have different build versions and will not get on until Sector 26 updates.

I'm going to have a look at my Steam setting and see if I can turn automatic updates off for RUST only.  Then I"ll manually update ... when Sector 26 updates.

DId you get that!!!! Huh Huh Huh

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 27th April 2015, 4:51 am

Rev:

Fixed the links up on the Sector 26 Map Information thread.  http://www.mfpclan.com/t1179-sector-26-map-information-read-only#20376, as some of the relevant url details have changed very slightly.

Wondering why I couldn't get Sector 26 to come up in the servers list, but found it under the modded server list. http://www.playrusthq.com/servers/modded

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 14th May 2015, 11:17 am

Rev:

The Oxide plugins are currently hit and miss. 1 day some work .. another they don't. Currently only Compass, Server Messages and Death msgs work In fact.. death msgs only just started working the other day.

Maybe easier to just turn most of them off. Server Messages usually always work. Unless you've got time to chech them daily, maybe uninstall all of them, except for Server Messages, until they become more stable.

Our messages are telling players about /who or /compass .. but then they don't always work. Doesn't reflect all that well imo. We know its nothing sinistar .. but it is what it is.

IMO Keep the standard Oxide url msgs, welcomes and maybe some tips. Maybe even keep the Death msgs. If they go down .. no big issues and no broken promises.

Otherwise .. admins will have to be on top of the issues daily. And currently, we are all busy on numerous things .. including the new clan website.

Food for thought! Smile

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 14th May 2015, 11:49 am

Rgr have amended the rolling notices and removed oxide notes.

Many oxide plugins are working intermittently, some completely failed? like the admin-Fly tool, where the pluigin has also been removed from the master list, thinking the devs have removed the ability to stop it being abused by hackers or something?

Will keep the plugins simple for now, although be handy for admins to have timesetting ability, godmode and fly etc... but not the end of the world. The consol items should always work fine?

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 14th May 2015, 1:25 pm

Silvabakrev wrote:Rgr have amended the rolling notices and removed oxide notes.

Many oxide plugins are working intermittently, some completely failed? like the admin-Fly tool, where the pluigin has also been removed from the master list, thinking the devs have removed the ability to stop it being abused by hackers or something?

Will keep the plugins simple for now, although be handy for admins to have timesetting ability, godmode and fly etc... but not the end of the world. The consol items should always work fine?

Roger. I never really used God mode and Fly anyway for Admin duties. Forced me to still be carefull when moving around and doing community duties. Handy for investigating hackers though. No gr8 loss for me.

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 15th May 2015, 2:06 pm

I think the new server is doing well.  Getting some regulars .. good interaction .. and quite a few new visitors.  Population is still low though .. and can always be hard to start up.  I think we have the right formula, active admins, community buildings etc.   You know me Revy,  I like to try to stimulate the player both live and subconciously.

Rehashing on the server slot size again Smile

Checked out the aussie server list, on the new more detailed site we found, Rust:IO

http://playrust.io/#country:au

We're further down where the vanilla servers start.

Noticed alot of 50 slot servers with medium to decent numbers.  I still think that its a mind game with server slots.  My opinion .. and maybe not others.

8/50 visually/subconciously looks busier than 8/100 imo.  8/40 even more so tbh.  In my eyes anyway.   If players are using Rust:IO to search for servers .. it also shows the world size.  Players may mentally question 100 players on a 2000 world size.

Its all about mind games for me.  Anything we can nudge to grab the players eye, to come to Sector 26 for a good balanced gaming experience.

An experiment only.  Maybe crank back the server to a 50 slotter next map wipe .. and increase the map size a bit to 3000-odd.  Wave a different bait under their noses.  May work.  May not.  Can't hurt.  Once we have the pop .. then server slot and map size are easily scaleable.

Thinking aloud .. and maybe talking to myself again Smile Smile Smile

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 15th May 2015, 4:39 pm

Streamline now has Perth based hosting by the way, could always try moving it, but then would lose some east coast player interest? BUT with Perth in our server name, might draw interest from a more Perthy/Adelaide crowd??
Food for thought?

Pretty sure it would mean a wipe/new IP start etc... though?

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 15th May 2015, 5:24 pm

Silvabakrev wrote:Streamline now has Perth based hosting by the way, could always try moving it, but then would lose some east coast player interest? BUT with Perth in our server name, might draw interest from a more Perthy/Adelaide crowd??
Food for thought?

Pretty sure it would mean a wipe/new IP start etc... though?

The ping seems fine mate. And as you said , may lose East Coast interest, which is main pop. Leave as is imo. I think the days of server names having state name in it are gr8tly diminished.

But .. in the end mate .. your the boss, so feel free to do whatever you think is best. Salute

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top