Whitelisting Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Whitelisting Discussion

Post by Silvabakrev on 2nd May 2014, 12:26 pm

This something to think about in the future........

'Eventually' the time may come where we are able to password the server (This is different to a true whitelist setup).

Although it is good to see the server sometimes full, it means at times our members can not get in easily and often have to wait ages for an opening. Also opens the gates (easier) to Hackers. Can't stop them fully but can make it alot harder for them.

I doubt a 'true' whitelisting setup will be put in place anytime soon, ie listing player GUID's in the admin files as being approved for entry to the server.

Thus we may be able to utilise a changing (maybe every month or at random?) password to the server, to lock it up somewhat and create our own custom whitelist setup. When/if this feature becomes available then we will open up a BEYOND THUNDERDOME, Whitelist Topic. Where members of the public can register then post that they 'ACKNOWLEDGE' they have read and understood the server rules etc... then they will go onto a whitelist forum grouping where they get access to view a Whitelist Password Topic.

Note all =mfp= members will AUTOMATICALLY have access to the Whitelist Password Topic, thus be able to get on the server as they wish.

"Aliens could drop a zombie apocalypse virus on mankind any day now! ...You better have a bug-out-bag ready!!!"
"Be professional, be polite, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet!"
Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 3573
Gaming Tag : =mfp= Rev

http://www.mfpclan.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Whitelisting Discussion

Post by Sashbags on 2nd May 2014, 12:57 pm

I know the hacking thing can be an issue, but i reckon we would take a massive hit in the numbers if we whitelisted. it made sense in the mod cause hacking was so easy, but i dont think it is going to be that easy in SA final. I think people would be turned away from jumping on to try it out if they had to come to a forum, register, sign up, confirm, post etc etc. some might, i think alot wont.
Perhaps the admin tools will become good and there might be something where you can perma ban people and that way if there are any hackers/griefers then they can be banned.
Sashbags
Corporal
Corporal

Number of posts : 790
Gaming Tag : [mfp] Sashbags

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 2nd May 2014, 1:47 pm

Hackers are a minor concern only at the moment and hopefully into the future.

However, this is an issue: I waited last night and could not get on the server for nearly 4hrs, due to it constantly being full. Great for bumping the server up the rankings, but not great if mfp members can't get on.
There are currenlty no server admin options to kick players to make room unless we get in the server first.
Only option would have been to do a full server restart then rush in before/if it filled again. Prefer not to do that where possible, without advising players in the game (else could reflect poorly on our server), but again can not advise players in game without being in game (yet).

So its great we have a server and it is often full and yes there is likely less odds of hackers the way they have set it up. But once persitant items start working (ie tents and vehicles, then later base building) I'd like our clan members to be able to get on the server where we are paying $97/m, without a 4hr wait. If you get where I am coming from?

I'd like the challenge of building a (slightly more trusted) whitelisted community up too. Maybe even run some events in the future etc...

Also means we can get acknowledgement from whitelist prospects about our rules, such as no griefing (ie sensless base destruction etc...), or any other rule set we decide to put in place that suits our purposes.

"Aliens could drop a zombie apocalypse virus on mankind any day now! ...You better have a bug-out-bag ready!!!"
Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 2nd May 2014, 4:27 pm

It's a double edged sword really.

I think sash has a point, i know if i was looking for a 'quick' casual game, i would not want to have to join a website to get a password. It would take the quick out of it.

However i to gave up playing last night after get cramp from refreshing for 30 minutes. No point paying for a server you can't use. If there was a password then at least you know those on the server really want to be there. (If we did password and the numbers dropped, we would have to allow blue on blue to make it not boring? inter-squad challenges?)

I just tweeted Dean Hall about this exact issue, see if he replies i guess.

Major

Number of posts : 1804
Gaming Tag : LrdAnubis

http://www.mfpclan.com/u105

Back to top Go down

Post by loony on 3rd May 2014, 2:23 am

I think a temporary solution could be a bit of a test by telling players to at least register as a regular, if you do not you may be kicked to make room for members. not on the list? = risk the kicks.
Its not forcing people to whitelist with passwords etc, but will show just how many wish to stay here and start a known registry.

Real problem is no server is any more special than another (other than the name).. get pissed off in one, go to another.
I hate hackers and love the whitelist idea.. but it will drop numbers massively when there are so many to choose from... and from the previous experience of that other server we joined, creates a close community, a little too close... playing with the same people who cry about the same things or gets too cuddly, we all know each other and dont fire a single round... or the flip side of a massacre driving away the noobs who cant cut it with the bigger boys.

Have too see what tools come out. If we can set it up so the server stands out and players WANT to be in here, it wont be as much of a problem.

Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 1668
Gaming Tag : theloony

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 3rd May 2014, 2:41 am

The main problem loony is that you have to be able to join the server to kick ppl not on the list.

When there are 40 ppl on and only a limited few in mfp with ability to make kicks. It is a rock and a hard place.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by loony on 3rd May 2014, 2:54 am

but they dont know that! Very Happy ...i know what you mean...
The threat of being kicked is what i was aiming for, to push to see how many would actually go "yeah, i want to be added to the list so i dont get kicked"... too see the response. if no one wants to be added... that says alot for a whitelisted server.

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 3rd May 2014, 4:18 am

true. worth trying.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by sickboy_ktb on 3rd May 2014, 6:27 am

Used to have a few reserved slots on my old cs server, but you cant do that with dayz yet obviously. I just spam the server till a spot opens up to join. More annoying if a few of us need to get on at a time. What message would we post if we needed to kick for incoming clan members? Is there any way to tell how long ppl had been on the server so we could do a last in first out system? Also I wish they would add some kind of timer for server restarts so that 5 m before restart an auto global message would appear. fantastic to have a popular server though, would be much worse if we were talking about how to attract ppl to the server.
sickboy_ktb
Major
Major

Number of posts : 875
Gaming Tag : sickboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 3rd May 2014, 7:24 am

haha, totally agree sickboy. Better to have to many targets than none at all.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by loony on 3rd May 2014, 8:43 am

Kicks IMO would be random hence the request to list your name to be one of the few on the list. Really there are no short list of candidates, high pingers and people with intelligent names like cockballs, rapist, IMANEWB, loony, etc... Razz

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by sickboy_ktb on 3rd May 2014, 8:46 am

lol yup there are some very entertaining named players
sickboy_ktb
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 3rd May 2014, 8:58 am

Thanks for the feedback on this issue, keep it going if you have other thougths and suggestions, so we are ready for a practical plan in the future.

Like loony's idea. Simply register on the forums with your player name and if we need to kick to make room, we'll do a quick check of our forum members list first, to ensure the kick victim is not registered (where possible). Can also place the odd cycled scheduled message warning about such. Might increase forum activity in the guest area too?

Hopefully we get the ability in the future to ustilise an RCon (remote control) admin tool (like the DaRt program we used for our Mod server), so we can kick, message etc... without being in game. THEN, if a clan member needs room, we can message apologise and kick as required (pending an admin being available of course, although we can also expand our Sub-Admin base a bit more with our active senior members as required to allow kicking for the above reason)

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by King Flyerr on 3rd May 2014, 9:58 am

even offer a couple of ammo rounds or cans of food or drinks as a sort of thank you/sorry gift. Then they would possibly think that "hey, I'm cool with that, I was looking for that" or something. I don't know just my 5 cents.

King Flyerr

Number of posts : 499
Gaming Tag : Flyerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sashbags on 3rd May 2014, 9:59 am

im hoping that the admin tools become a bit more robust, i think i VIP list is better than a whitelist. so if that happens then all
could have a simple warning in game, "MFP Members and server sponsors are VIPs, you maybe have to make way for a VIP member if the server is full. to become a sponsor or member head to www.mfpclan.com Sorry for the inconvenience".
get it to come up every 15 minutes or so,

Thats if something like this gets in.
Sashbags
Corporal
Corporal

Number of posts : 790
Gaming Tag : [mfp] Sashbags

Back to top Go down

Post by Steely on 3rd May 2014, 11:23 pm

I agree with the VIP list. Having a whitelist server is a lot of work to keep player numbers up, as you can't advertise in game. We will have to do a lot of advertising of the server on outside forums etc.
Just having a "whitelist server, to apply visit mfpclan.c....." on the server list wont work as most people will filter locked servers out.
If it becomes as popular as the mod then there will be 1000's of servers to choose from so any restriction to join a server will mostly be passed up for a open server that can be joined straight away.
If hacking becomes bad white listed servers will become more popular.

Major

Number of posts : 650
Gaming Tag : [mfp] Steely

Back to top Go down

Post by rain401 on 4th May 2014, 4:45 am

agreed with all said

Major
Major

Number of posts : 1170
Gaming Tag : [mfp] Rain401

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 16th October 2014, 10:59 am

Whitelist options via BEC, appears to be a coming option, which I am looking to instigate as soon as it becomes available - so we can implement a trial straight away, I imagine a fair few server owners will do the same, thus drive a lot of the more overt hackers to other servers, which may thus drive legit players to find whitelisted servers with less hackers on them, bit of a vicious circle really.

ref: http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-13-oct-14

Time will tell if a whitelist server becomes an option. In our early days on the DayZ mod the mfp joined a whitelist server and there was a bit of a community on there, with rivals, full on enemies in the mix with some 'good guy' clans as well as loads of lone wolves, was interesting from memory and minimal to next to no hackers causing grief...

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 27th October 2014, 5:40 am

Message from our hosts:

We are happy to announce that we have officially released Private Shards for DayZ Standalone.

Private shards bring many exciting new features to DayZ Standalone servers.

These Include:

Whitelisting
Locking
Password
Kick / Ban
With the release of private shards comes with it a different structure to order a DayZ Standalone Server. There are now several options to pick from when purchasing.

Official – This is a standard DayZ Server and is the same as how DayZ Standalone servers have been until this point. Official servers are bound by the official hosting rules.

Vilayer Shard – This is the Official Vilayer shared shard that can be used by our customers. All servers on this shard will share their data. This options gives you the all of the private shard benefits such as passwords, locking, RCON, ect.

Master Shard – This is your own fully private instance. This is roughly equivalent to a private hive DayZ Mod server. All data on your shard is only for your server and not shared with any others.

Slave Shard – A slave shard can connect to your Master shard. This allows you to connect several Slave Shards to your Master shard. All of the servers in your "cluster" will share data. You must own a Master Shard before purchasing a Slave Shard

All of the above options with the exception of Official servers gain the ability to kick/ban, whitelist, lock, password, access RCON, ect.

Starting now you can purchase any of the above options directly from our website.

http://sv0m.mjt.lu/link/sv0m/zyy7piv/2/TzfuxAuRqq7z4cxIAni-GA/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudmlsYXllci5jb20vZ2FtZWluZm8vRGF5Wi1TdGFuZGFsb25lLmh0bWw

Please Note – Due to the backed handling of private shards existing official servers cannot be upgraded to private shards. If you wish to change to any form of private shard you must purchase a new server.

If you have any questions regarding private shards feel free to contact our support department.

Kind Regards,
Vilayer LTD

Looking at a Master Shard at this stage, downside is we can't upgrade our current server, so a new one needs to be setup. Will leave yet another double DayZ server overlap... No doubt the Master Shards will be more expensive *sigh
...Stay tuned.

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 27th October 2014, 5:57 am

Master Shard might drive people away if they have to gear up on every different server they visit. I personally, like the idea of white listing, but if we go to a private hive people will be driven away by having to gear up and white listing won't be necessary. catch 22...

If we go Vilayer Shard, at least all the gear will be available across all vilayer servers.....

my 2 cents.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 27th October 2014, 6:01 am

Will stop server hopping, which is a pet hate of mine, your character should be bound to a server imo. Time will tell, will be hard to get off the ground I think, but if we are ever going to try it now is the time to do it and try to become a premier Whitelist server sooner rather than later when others are already established. I'm always up for a challenge Smile

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Steely on 27th October 2014, 6:47 am

I say go for it. One server one life. It can only enhance the survival experience in my opinion, when you get to a town or military base and it already has been raided then you need to search harder not search for an empty server to jump to. Should also make pvp something to think about, will the guy in my sights have something worth wasting my ammo on or should I try for the next town.

Edit: Will you be able to adjust spawn rates on private hives?

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by rain401 on 27th October 2014, 6:56 am

Agree with steely. Same as dayz mod.

Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 27th October 2014, 6:56 am

What do you mean by spawn 'rates' Steely?

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Steely on 27th October 2014, 7:01 am

The devs originally talked about limited weapons etc. available on a hive.
Example : only 10 m16's on the hive then no more will spawn until one was destroyed or despawned. So if you wanted an m16 you had to either steal one or kill for one.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 27th October 2014, 7:37 am

I see, will keep an eye out for such, but would be surprised if they allow those options already..

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by skorzney on 27th October 2014, 9:39 am

Might be best till persistence has been done as why lock yourself to a server without it.????..just my thought

skorzney
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Number of posts : 307
Gaming Tag : skorzney

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 27th October 2014, 9:47 am

I don't think its a good idea at least until persistence is working.

Can't see myself looting for hours to be 1 shot killed, lose everything and start all over again on a now looted server.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Spriggamortis on 27th October 2014, 9:56 am

rain401 wrote:Agree with steely. Same as dayz mod.

+1

As you know I don't play SA atm.. so my opinion shouldn't really count.  But, for feedback, hate server hoping, for the aforementioned reasons!  Player locked to server as in the old mod, as Rain quoted.

But I do see the point on persistence working. Having a few persistent tents with respawn gear can be handy when your server locked. I liked looting .. so doesn't bother me. The harder the better!!

Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 2453
Gaming Tag : Spriggamortis

Back to top Go down

Post by Vien Kush on 27th October 2014, 10:16 am

One server, one life. This game should be hard and let's face it, not many nubbins playing it these days surely.

Monkey killing monkey killing monkey,
Over pieces of the ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs,
They make a club,
And beat their brother down.
Vien Kush
Warrant Officer Class 1
Warrant Officer Class 1

Number of posts : 812
Gaming Tag : =mfp= Vien Kush

Back to top Go down

Post by Graphic on 27th October 2014, 10:19 am

I think looting and collecting **** is half the fun, plus when a clan
member looses his gear or a new clan member joining etc... easier
to help each other gear up.. I agree with server hopping, doesn't seem fair
to me.

Captain
Captain

Number of posts : 1034
Gaming Tag : =mfp= graphic

Back to top Go down

Post by skorzney on 27th October 2014, 12:14 pm

graphic does have a valid point...the more options we have the more we interact...just thoughts

skorzney
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by rain401 on 27th October 2014, 12:21 pm

Never forget the days of the mod when you got to know the people who were regulars on our private server. People knew each other and who to avoid. I could log on with 15 people on and in 10 min all but 2 were left. Private server for me.

Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 27th October 2014, 1:57 pm

yer... lets try not to kill every new whitelist player 10 times over in their first few days eh... *looks in rain's direction... Suspect

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by loony on 27th October 2014, 8:10 pm

I see the game itself as gearing up and surviving. Once done, i cant count the amount of conversations of "where are we gonna go?.. i dunno, what do you want to do?"... idle hands. Flip side being the spawn drop needs attention if its a locked server... hell it might be ok once there isnt hoppers constantly taking?

Either way im not fussed, lots of pros n cons where if it really doesnt work out we should be able to swap it back yeah?

Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by rain401 on 28th October 2014, 12:08 am

Silvabakrev wrote:yer... lets try not to kill every new whitelist player 10 times over in their first few days eh... *looks in rain's direction... Suspect
i only did that once, then to even it up i gave him a heli with a red v rotor and watch him crash and burn on his own accord LMAO

Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Graphic on 28th October 2014, 5:01 am

lol, I wanted to put a red cross on my huey, the amount of times I
had to go give Rain a blood bag hehe

Captain
Captain

Number of posts : 1034
Gaming Tag : =mfp= graphic

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 28th October 2014, 5:27 am

To me the Mod and DayZ SA are two completely different games. Like comparing Battlefield to Arma. SA doesn't have persistence, vehicles, bases etc. when you die, there is no stash to regear, no rescues via helicopter.

What was a good thing in one is not nessecarily a good thing in the other. While i agree with the comments above about server jumping for the sake of loot., most of the comments are from members who don't frequently play DayZ SA.

My concern about server locking is not for server jumping for looting. It's for changing servers when you're own server is empty. For the way i play the game, which is seeking out interactions or even confrontations, an empty server is fckn boring. So the ability to join a high population server without needing to reloot each time is a big factor in my game play. I don't believe i am alone in this thought.

I am all for a private hive to take advantage of the new admin features, i just think the Vilayer shard will offer these features without sacrificing the ability to play with high populations.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 28th October 2014, 5:43 am

You can always run a second generic character for runs on the open servers.
As well as loot jumping I think many players jump to flank enemy in battles, Master Shard stops that sort of caper as well.

In any case I don't have high hopes for the whitelist lasting too long, but have the strong desire to test it out, while a good (maybe the best opportunity we have?) opportunity exists. I do get the feeling though that after November it is likely that we will not be hosting any clan DayZ server at all, at least until DayZ hits a Beta level (Maybe towards the end of next year or the year after that?... lol).

On a side note the MASTER Shard hosting costs are stupidly expensive ($123/m for 40 players) to the point that if a whitelisting is not 'successful' quickly, we may dump the server based on costs alone!.. Upside to the expense is that I doubt there will be many MASTER Shard/whitelisted servers hosting in Oz at all... if any, so I doubt there will be much whitelisted server competition while the costs are so high...

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by skorzney on 28th October 2014, 8:24 am

Id just like to remind u guys that when dean hall created the game his intension was to have players jump servers to attack other servers and clans (a way of having a seudo mm game I guess) but I guess he was thinking of final release.

skorzney
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 28th October 2014, 8:46 am

That DayZ-MMO version is due out in the year 2026 I think?

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by skorzney on 28th October 2014, 8:58 am

Lol

skorzney
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by sickboy_ktb on 29th October 2014, 10:23 am

Will be an interesting experiment for sure, the main hurdle will be player numbers which may take time and patience to get to a decent level, or it will prove that most dayz players just want to move around servers depending on how many people are on them. But seeing as it looks like dayz servers days are numbered anyway we probably wont have the time to get a proper answer either way. The only real advantage i can see is for the ability to keep the server hacker free or at least have the tools to help.
sickboy_ktb
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 21st November 2014, 5:30 am

As the server has been set to CLOSE the Whitelist office sub topic for this server has now been closed.

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by LrdAnubis on 21st November 2014, 5:38 am

RIP whitelist.

Major

Back to top Go down

Post by skorzney on 21st November 2014, 7:18 am

*salutes* farewell whitelist

skorzney
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Heady on 21st November 2014, 7:24 am

will the guid numbers be stored for a possible server down the track?

Heady
Sergeant
Sergeant

Number of posts : 218
Gaming Tag : Head HuntaZ / Heady

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvabakrev on 21st November 2014, 2:24 pm

Yup I have them on my master info list..

Silvabakrev
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down